Tuesday, October 09, 2007

Spotlight Feature: 10 Years of Directing at WKYC

Please excuse a little shameless, self promotion this week as I reach a personal milestone in my career. It's an exclusive "behind the scenes" look at this special time for me.

This month marks my 10th anniversary as a full time director at Channel 3.

Former WKYC Production Manager Rich O'Dell (now GM at Gannett station WLTX in Columbia, SC) hired me as a part-time, weekend & fill-in director in 1995 after spending my first year here working as a studio technician.

Initially, I was assigned duties as the weekend 6 & 11 PM and fill-in director on the newly expanded morning news. Plus, I often directed the "Tom and Del" or "Del and Tom" Show (Those two always fought over whose name would come first.)

In 1997, long-time WKYC Director John Oven retired and moved to sunny Florida - and I was promoted to full time status. John's favorite phrase when something went wrong, was always "don't worry - it's on its way to Mars, men." That has always stuck with me as funny - but true.

These past ten years have been fabulous here at WKYC. I have worked with so many talented people - both on-air and behind the scenes. Honestly, there are some folks who will always be difficult to work with, but it makes you much stronger as a professional. You know you've reached a milestone when people's negative criticisms of you no longer matter.

Before I came to WKYC, I worked for numerous Cleveland area radio stations. Next year will mark my 20th anniversary in Cleveland broadcasting. I have to thank Sandy Kish-Jordan & Sue Wilson for giving me my "big market" break. Tom Embrescia, Jim Davis, Joe Restifo, Carl Reese, Ronnie Barrett and Bill Randle were just some of the great radio professionals who supported my endeavours in one way or another in radio. Later, Steve Hibbard and Bernie Kimble at Smooth Jazz 107.3, The Wave, opened other doors for me to keep my radio career going until I finally called it quits in 2003. It's a decision I don't regret.

As the radio business started to head downhill, I was laid off from WRMR in 1994 as they station was trimming up to be sold - which immediately opened up the opportunity I had been waiting for - WKYC. Marla Nelson, Andy Hitchcock, Rex Rickly, Rich O'Dell, Brooke Spectorsky, Ned Tate, Al Wohl, Terry Moir, Rita Andolsen, Kathy Williams and Dick Moore are just some of the great people who I'm indebted to for their help in being successful over the years.

So, thanks for celebrating this special time with me - and for your continuing support of the "Director's Cut" and "Fair Weather Fans" blogs. We are fast approaching our 50,000th visitor since launching this blog in January - and appreciate your interest in both my work and my colleagues work here at WKYC.

Here are some extra features to peruse if you are interested:
*To view my radio and programming credits: CLICK HERE
*To get in contact with me and say hi: fmacek@wkyc.com
*To view the following pictures of my radio and TV career so far, click the individual photo for a larger look.
--------------------------------------
Frank's Exclusive Photo Gallery

Frank (left) with former WKYC News Director Dick Moore (right)
WKYC Newsroom - 2007



Frank (center with hat) directing "Indians On Deck"
SportsTime Ohio Control Room "B" - 2006
Others pictured: Front Row - Jim Murphy (left), Jim Dungey (right)
Back Row: Jeff Yakawiak (back left) and Julie Arnold (back right)



Frank with Former WKYC 6 PM Producer Elisa Fowler
WKYC Control Room A - 2005



Frank preparing for a 6 pm newscast
WKYC Newsroom - 2004



Frank on the air at Smooth Jazz, 107.3, The Wave
On Air Studio - 2003



Frank (left) on the set with the Weekend Anchor Team & Studio Crew
Old WKYC Building - 1995
Others pictured: Front Row: Steve Miles , Monica Robins, Mike Zaremba
Back Row - Chris Riethmiller, Heather Gedeon, and Eileen McShea



Frank (left) with the other "Music of Your Life" On-Air Staff
WRMR AM 850 Control Room, One Radio Lane - 1993
Others Pictured: Fred Embrescia, Carl Reese, Chris Daniels, Jim Davis



Frank on the air at Soft Favorites, WDOK, 102. 1 FM
Reserve Square Studios - 1989



Frank on the air at WCSB 89.3 FM (Cleveland State)
Rhodes Tower Studios - 1989



Frank on the WEWS "Eyewitness News" Set
My visit with former Meteorologist Dan Maly - 1986