Friday, August 02, 2019

The Director's Cut Blog is back!

As we head into August, I have decided to bring back the Director's Cut Blog that features a behind the scenes look at the WKYC Studios.

Since our last post March in 2018, I have gotten near weekly requests urging me to consider bringing back the blog. Many of my readers have said they found it useful in not only learning more about the current happenings of Channel 3, but also the history behind the station.

Even though idled for more than a year, the blog continues to receive a significant number of views per day.

Our alums have enjoyed finding out what's new since they left the station. Our viewers like to hear what's happening inside the station and behind the scenes. And, I like to give some opinion on topics that matter to me as a broadcaster and for our industry.

Today is a very exciting time for our business, our local television market and most importantly -  our television station.

One of my main focuses moving forward will be to deal with the history of WKYC in greater detail. For the past six months, I have been doing extensive research about the station's past as we head toward our 75th anniversary coming in 2023.

For me personally, I have been part of this television station for the past 25 years and look forward to the next 25 years in whatever role I am needed. Perhaps that will be directing our daily newscasts or working in other areas as I continue to grow professionally. I also love radio and one day wish to return to doing some on-the-air work as well.  And, I like to write and this will give me the opportunity to do so once again on my own terms.

WKYC is undergoing a major transformation in 2019 that will you see in the many months ahead both behind the scenes and on the air. We now live in a 24/7 "digital first" environment that not only brings you our over the air broadcasts into your home, but also on social media and your mobile devices.

You are about to see many new faces on the station and will see more as we get set to launch a new 5 p.m. newscast in 2020. My pledge is to once again share the stories about what's happening at our station and help you get to know our personalities so they become like family.

So, starting immediately, look for new, regular updates from the WKYC Studios and I thank you for still being part of this fun journey for me.