Thursday, March 22, 2007

From the Mailbag: Station Archives

From: Tim in Canton

Q: I really am enjoying your blog...lots of interesting info. The reason I am writing is I just tonight again watched a videotape that I recorded October 27, 1998 - "WKYC-TV 3, 50 Golden Years". It was fun to relive some old memories and see some people that I haven't seen in years. My question is this: I saw your name on the special's end credits (It took me a minute to realize where I had seen your name before). I'd like to ask how much vintage video there is in the Channel 3 archives and is there more that has been found since 1998? Also, are there plans at all for a 60th anniversary celebration in 2008

A: Thanks for the nice words. It's always good to hear from folks - especially those who recognize my name from somewhere...Ha! Regarding your inquiry, we archive every story from every show on tape backup. This has been going on since the 1980s. Prior to that, only those memorable moments were saved. Hopefully we'll be going to a digital storage backup system soon, so we can find things easier. I'm not aware of plans for a 60th anniversary special. It's more likely, we will wait until our 75th birthday...if TV is still around then. But, hey I'll toss out the idea to the bosses.

Send Your Emails to me at: fmacek@wkyc.com