Friday, September 19, 2008

Your Voice: Ethics and Today's Media

As some of you know, I attended an important ethics seminar with many of my Channel 3 colleagues today at Kent State University. The all day event was a lively discussion of ethics and how to maintain them as we move to include citizen journlists and those who wish to express their voices in the new world of digital media using our platforms like on blogs, forums and Youtube, for example.

Before I share my views on today's forum, I like to first ask you to comment on how YOU feel we should move forward with maintaining quality while we [the media] are economically forced to look at different ways to remain relevant.

Can a standard of ethics be maintained while still allowing the public to be part of the process? Or is the only way to continue a "closed system" - where we [the media] are the only gatekeepers and filters to the public that they can trust.

Please post your comments below. I will moderate the comments, but not edit them. This is only to keep the comments on topic.