Monday, April 18, 2011

Get To Know Team 3: Jennifer Lindgren

Jennifer Lindgren
By Frank Macek

In this "Get to Know Team 3" feature, we finally had the chance to sit down with WKYC Multimedia Journalist Jennifer Lindgren who joined Channel 3 in August 2010 from WTLV in Jacksonville, Florida, and WLTX in Columbia, South Carolina .

As a multimedia journalist, Jennifer is a one woman band who shoots, edits and fronts her own packages as television continues to move in this new direction of journalism.

Her stories have received recognition along the way. She's been the recipient of a regional Edward R. Murrow Award for writing. In the past couple of years, the South Carolina Associated Press has honored her work for general assignment reporting, as well as the Florida Society of Professional Journalists for feature reporting.

Here is what Jennifer had to say during a recent conversation with the Director's Cut Blog:

Question: Tell us about some of the positions you held at your earlier stations.

Jennifer: I’ve worked as a reporter for four news stations in four states in the last six years. "Multimedia Journalist” is pretty much all I’ve done. Aside from a little fill-in anchoring in my last market, I’ve always been a reporter who also shoots and edits her own stories.

Question: What has been your favorite city to live in before coming to Cleveland?

Jennifer: Austin, Texas. I was just a college student (at the University of Texas), but the city is one giant playground for exploring amazing food, music and shopping. Not to mention beautiful lakes, rivers and parks. Plus it’s the political heart of the state and the home of my favorite football team. What more could you want?

Question: How do you define your role as a multimedia journalist?

Jennifer: A wearer of many hats. The biggest challenge is balancing a hefty work load. I appear in front and behind the camera, and it's the latter that takes the most energy. I travel for interviews, shoot, write, edit and assemble TV news stories on a daily deadline. It's never borning, and there is rarely a minute to relax. But what matters most is the story that ends up on air -- was it effective? Did I do a good job helping, informing and engaging people who tune in to find out what’s important? That's the acheivement I aim for every day.

Question: Do you find your work more challenging (or easier) with having complete control over your assignments from start to finish?

Jennifer: A little of both. People are often surprised when I show up for an interview carrying tons of gear on my own (especially in a snow storm), but I manage! It's an arduous process working solo, but the clock doesn't wait for you either. I value the days I am able to work with our photographers, who are just as involved in the story telling process as reporters. I think being a photographer makes you a better news writer. Your eye picks up on subleties when you're focusing a shot behind the lens that you may not catch when you are asking questions and taking notes.

Question: What advice do you give others looking to become a new reporter or just out of college?

Jennifer: Throw your preconceived notions of what it means to work in broadcast news out the window. This business is completely different today than it was two years ago, let alone a decade in the past. College curriculms aren't always caught up to the changes. Be prepared to be flexible and be willing to take on other jobs within the newsroom on the path to becoming a reporter. If you're still in school, get an internship. It will prepare you more for your first job than your classes will. If you've just graduated, be persistent.

Question: Who would you consider to be your mentor or idol in the broadcasting business?

Jennifer: When I was in college, my mentor was Wes Sarginson, the long time anchor at WXIA TV in Atlanta who has since retired from local news. He encouraged me to pursue this career. The veterans of the business have so much to teach. I have also learned a lot from Boyd Huppert, who works at KARE TV in Minneapolis, just by paying attention to his writing. I often watch his reports online. I appreciate great story tellers.

Question: What are you future goals in television?

Jennifer: To see where it takes me. My experiences to date are the results of opportunity and chance. So I'm eager to see what will happen next. I love being a field reporter, and plan to stick with it. It is such an educational profession and I am very thankful for it.

Question: We know you love to travel. Share with us some of the coolest places you have been.

Jennifer: There are so many, and they are all so different! I love to travel. Anywhere that requires a passport. Anagoda, in the British Virgin Islands is this tiny coral island that is barely above sea level. It's very remote and beautiful. I love Central America, for the various types of culture and food. Most recently, I traveled to Mexico City, where we ate from street carts and took a wooden boat trip down an ancient canal system. I'm a planner by nature, so I always research where I'm headed so I can visit as many hidden gems as possible while I'm there. This may sound outrageous, but I am hoping to make it to Antarctica one day before it becomes restricted from tourism.

Question: What else do you like to do in your free time?

Jennifer: Cook, yoga, and spend time with friends and family.

Question: Where is your favorite place to shop in northeast Ohio?

Jennifer: The West Side Market for interesting ingredients. Lehman's in Kidron is packed with cool kitchen gear and gadgets.

Question: Share with us at least one thing most people don’t know about you.

Jennifer: When I was a kid, I always dreamed of being a scientist: doctor, biologist, astronaut, archeologist, meteorolgist -- you name it. I even went to science camp. I didn't decide to pursue journalism until half-way through college. Now I couldn't imagine doing anything else.

To email Jennifer, you can reach her at jenniferlindgren@wkyc.com