Tuesday, July 27, 2010

Director's Cut Alert: Jennifer Lindgren Joins WKYC

Jennifer Lindgren
Jennifer Lindgren is joining the Channel 3 News team announced WKYC News Director Rita Andolsen on Tuesdsay. Rita tells us Jennifer will be working as a Multimedia Journalist with Channel 3 and has plenty of experience already.

Multimedia Journalists are the growing trend in television broadcasting where a reporter shoots, writes and edits their own work across a growing number of on-line and on-air platforms

"I’m one of a growing group of reporters who actually loves to shoot and edit my own stories," she tells the Director's Cut Blog exclusively. "It’s been a regular part of my job for five years now. I enjoy the challenge of photography!"

Jennifer joins Amanda Barren who was recently hired by Channel 3 News as a Multimedia Journalist in June.

She comes to WKYC from our Gannett sister station duopoly in Jacksonville, WLTV/Channel 12 & WJXX/Channel 25 - better known as First Coast News, where she has been a reporter since August 2008. Jennifer reports for their 11 p.m. broadcast and is a fill-in anchor for "Good Morning Jacksonville" on the weekends

Before that, she worked in South Carolina where she spent two years reporting for another of our Gannett stations, WLTX-TV, whose General Manager, Rich O'Dell is a former WKYC alumnist.

In 2008, Jennifer received a regional Edward R. Murrow Award for writing. In the past couple of years, the South Carolina Associated Press has recognized her work for general assignment reporting, as well as the Florida Society of Professional Journalists for feature reporting.

Jennifer's also tells us her first professional job was reporting for KXII-TV in Sherman, Texas. She says she has lived in many places, but calls Savannah home. She graduated from the University of Texas at Austin with a degree in broadcast journalism and a minor in business.

She also explains that her favorite part of the job is meeting new people and learning about what matters to them, and she's traveled all over the country to do so. When she's not busy shooting, writing, editing and reporting stories, Jennifer enjoys painting, traveling, exercising, and cooking.

"I’m very excited," she tells us. "My trip to WKYC was not only my first time to Cleveland but to Ohio. Everyone I met at Channel 3 welcomed me and I could see myself as a part of the team. I’m looking forward to contributing in any way possible. Coming from Florida, I bet one of the biggest challenges I’ll face will be learning how to drive in the snow!"

Viewers should begin seeing Jennifer and her work on the air for WKYC starting August 16th.