Wednesday, April 22, 2009

Director's Alert: Abby Ham Leaving WKYC

WKYC News Director Rita Andolsen has announced morning co-anchor Abby Ham is leaving the station to return to Knoxville, Tennessee, and her former station, WBIR-TV, as morning news anchor. Her last day on the air at WKYC will be during the first week of June.

"Abby joined WKYC in November 2007 and has been a wonderful addition to the morning show," says Andolsen. "Her heart is calling her home to her family in Knoxville."

Channel 3 viewers have fondly welcomed Abby into their homes as part of our morning show, along with co-anchors Mark Nolan and weather forecaster Hollie Strano over the past year and a half.

Abby tells the Director's Cut blog: "Cleveland has been so wonderful to me. The people have welcomed me with open arms and I have had a blast with my co-workers. This was a personal decision that took a lot of thought and prayer. My family lives in Knoxville and I miss them terribly. It was just too hard to be away."

"I have truly met some of my dearest friends here in Cleveland and at WKYC. The people here are so genuine and I know they will be friends for life. And... I will never stop rooting for the Cavs," she added.

On WBIR's website, General Manager Jeff Lee says that Ham will be paired with current morning co-anchor Russell Biven and meteorologist Mike Witcher in the same role she had prior to coming to WKYC.

You can email Abby: abbyham@wkyc.com

WBIR and WKYC are both owned by Gannett.