Tuesday, July 17, 2007

Get To Know Team 3 - Joe Brown


The newest member of the Channel 3 Sports team, Joe Brown, is this week's "Get to Know Team 3" feature. Joe came to WKYC from Altitude Sports in Denver. His first day was Thursday, May 17th. His first assignment was covering the Cavs in the Eastern Conference Finals. We recently sat down with Joe and asked him the following questions:

Q: How did you decide your calling was to be a sportscaster?
Joe: When I was 15 years old worked in the press box at Mac Arthur Stadium in Syracuse. Just knew that the only thing I wanted to do was to be around sports.
Q: You last worked & lived in Denver, how does that city's spirit compare to Cleveland? (Both have die hard sports fans)
Joe: Denver was a lot of fun. But there is no comparison. People there follow the Broncos. But here fans love the Browns, Indians, Cavs and Ohio State unconditionally. So I have noticed a big difference.
Q: What is your favorite sport to do play-by-play for?
Joe: Without a doubt baseball. At my last job I did a handful of game for triple a Colorado Springs. I actually took a 2nd during the game and thought to myself how lucky I was to be sitting in the press box describing the game and being out on a beautiful night, and also being paid to do it.
Q: What is your favorite sports-related movie?
Joe: There are so many movies I could chose from and I think I own them all. "Rudy" is incredible, "Bull Durham" is another one. But I would probably have to say "Remember the Titans." Great football scenes and an even better message.
Q: Who is your favorite national sportscaster?
Joe: Mike Tirico. I was lucky enough to intern for him when I was in college. I actually saw him during the Eastern Conference and NBA Finals. Very talented and a very good guy.
Q: What is your favorite season of the year?
Joe: The fall is the absolute best. Baseball is closing in on the playoffs and the NFL and college football has kicked off their seasons.
Q: What is your favorite snack to grab between sportscasts?
Joe: Whatever is in the vending machine. I have made a lot of runs between the newsroom and the kitchen in my short time here.
Q: What is your idea of a perfect vacation?
Joe: Last summer a friend and I went to Yankee Stadium and Fenway in back to back nights, that wasn't bad.
Q: Are you still a traditional radio fan or do you have satellite radio in your car?
Joe: Traditional radio for sure. I've thought seriously of getting satellite radio because of all the options with the sports packages.
Q: What is your favorite day or the week & why?
Joe: Saturday or Sunday. This time of the year it's a bit slower. But in the fall best chance to watch sports all day long.
You can email Joe at: joebrown@wkyc.com