Monday, April 09, 2007

From the Mailbag: Problem Getting WKYC on Digital Channel 2

From: Mike in Kent

Q: I'm a student at Kent State, and live in Ravenna. I bought an ATSC tv not too long ago. I am able to get WEWS, WJW, and all of the Youngstown outlets for ABC, CBS, and NBC. But I can't seem to get KYC... I've tried in clear weather.. Ohio weather.. night or day.. I can't get anything.. I've looked at the footprint on the FCC entry.. and it seems like your signal should be stronger than the ones from Youngstown. I get the analog signal loud and clear.. but not the digital one..
If you could shed some light this I would appreciate it..

A: Yes, we are having trouble getting out very far on our Digital Channel 2 right now. It's just not a good channel to be on. However, we are going to move to Channel 17 which will be a VAST improvement. The FCC has approved this, but we are waiting for the Canton station on analog Channel 17 to move to their digital channel. I'm not sure when this will happen, though plans are well underway for a change in facilities at our transmitter location. For now, your best bet is cable for receiving our HD signal.

Send your emails to me: fmacek@wkyc.com