Wednesday, January 31, 2007

Spotlight Article: My Farewell To Del - A Few of My Fondest Memories

As you know, we are saying farewell to Del Donahoo this week. His long career has made all of our lives richer and fuller. From his "Del's Folks Feasts" to "Travel Ohio" to "Today in Cleveland," Del has always made everyone he's around feel like they are part of his extended family.

As a teenager growing up on a farm in Garrettsville, I remember waking up every morning to "Today in Cleveland" with Del & Tom on Channel 3 at 6:30 AM. Everytime I saw the show, I would say "wow" - they always seemed to being having so much fun. In fact, it's the main reason I used to get up so easily right before the school bus would come racing down the hill at 7:05 and come to a screaching halt just a few feet away.

Years later, I wound up have the pleasure and honor of directing many of the "Today in Cleveland" shows with Del when I first began working at WKYC a few years before the show left the air in 1996. From Martha's coffee to Hank the rooster and the Haley Shuffle, Del has always been one of a kind (though I'm sure Tom Haley thinks otherwise.)

I partically remember one time I worked with Del on a "Travel Ohio" special where Del, Martha, photographer Eddie Bell and I took the Folkswagon to Columbus for an overnight stay to shoot a segment for the special. We all spent the night at this quaint bed and breakfast in German Village - and all found out together that Frank Sinatra had died. It was a sad moment that we all shared.

Later that day, we travelled to one of the many restaurants Del always made a regular feature of his pieces. This seemed so special, probably because it was one of the few times I was with Del and his wife for an extended period of time outside the station.

We were shooting at Schmidt's Restaurant, home of famous sausage delights and cream puffs the size of softballs. Heldga, the hostess, was one of the nicest people I ever meet...and She was one of Del's fans for many years. Seems like everyone knew Del all the way down in Columbus, too.

These were the kind of memories you always cherish from being around Del. He is always a professional, very loving and honest journalist who always knew how to write so gracefully.

Although Del is just stepping down from his daily duties at Channel 3, you'll still see him on the air on senior features.

Thank you Del for 40 years of terrific memories and the wonderful opportunity to know you as a colleague and friend.

Feel free to send Del your own good wishes:

Click here to send a farewell message to Del