Thursday, February 10, 2011

Director's Cut Alert: Robin Swoboda Joins Channel 3 News Team

Robin Swoboda
One of Northeast Ohio’s most respected and well-loved personalities returns to her journalistic roots with a new station and new assignment.

“I am happy to announce that Robin will be anchoring our 7pm newscast, along with current reporter Chris Tye,” said WKYC President and General Manager Brooke Spectorsky. “I know Robin’s experience, community knowledge and warm sense of humor will bring a unique perspective to our newscast. You’ve seen Chris substituting for anchors Mark Nolan and Romona Robinson over the past few years; he’s got great energy and strong reporting skills. Together, Robin and Chris will be a dynamic team.”

“When I started as an evening anchor in 1986, I never would have imagined the course my on-air life would take,” added Robin. “I’ve thoroughly enjoyed it all; from local shows to network programming to the Morning Exchange. But my first love has always been news, and I feel that’s where my strongest contributions will be. I’m truly excited to join the news team at WKYC, and I look forward to re-imagining the 7pm show with Chris, Betsy and Jim. I’ve got lots of ideas already…look out Cleveland!”

Currently hosted by reporters Monica Robins and Eric Mansfield, the WKYC 7pm show was first in the market, and concentrates on in-depth reporting and analysis.

“When we moved to a single anchor format with Romona at 6 and 11pm, we took two of our strongest beat reporters off the street and moved them into a different role at 7,” explained News Director Rita Andolsen. “The opportunity to hire Robin coincided with our realization that we needed to reinstate resources for our medical coverage and Akron/Canton content.”

Swoboda will begin on-air in early March. In addition to past roles as a news anchor for WJW and WEWS, she has also co-hosted several national non-news programs including “InSport” with Ahmad Rashad, “Cover To Cover” with Gayle King and co-host of WEWS “Morning Exchange”. Most recently, she was the program host for “The Robin Swoboda Show”, an advertiser friendly show on WJW.