Friday, May 16, 2008

Where Are They Now? - Rick Jackson

We have so many alumnists from Channel 3 that we want to get caught up on a few more of those who have moved on and been quite successful. As you may know, WKYC has always been an excellent stepping stone for those making their way to either the NBC network or other larger market cities. In fact, WKYC was often considered a training ground for the network stars of tomorrow.

Rick Jackson is one such person who has done very well for himself since leaving the station. Rick is a friend of the Director's Cut blog who asked him to take a few moments and reflect on his career so far, in his own words.

THE PAST:

I reported news at WKYC from September 1983 until April 1986, serving as a general assignment reporter and as the substitute morning news anchor whenever the inestimable Del Donahoo took time off from his morning duties.

During the second half of my tenure, I was paired with Tom Beres in what were called "Greater Cleveland" beats. Neither of us ever did stories inside the city, but worked the suburbs exclusively. I was positioned, and even promoted as; "The Greater Cleveland East" reporter.

As for memorable stories, I loved traveling to Washington and Chicago for a special series I worked on in 1984 that (correctly as it turned out) predicted the rise of the personal computer and the surveillance that computers now allow all across the world. Wish I'd had the foresight to actually invest in what I was reporting about.

I also enjoyed accompanying the Cleveland Force to Chicago in 1986 when they competed in the MISL playoffs, lead by Kai Haaskivi (Who remembers 'that' Cleveland sports legend, eh?)

THE PRESENT:

I've been back in Cleveland since 1999, having left for 13 years. I moved south, became a main anchor at WCNC in Charlotte, North Carolina, then moved on to a four year stint as anchor of the overnight CBS News Program, "Up To The Minute," broadcast live Monday through Fridays from New York City.

I am now a program host and producer at Ideastream, the PBS Television and NPR radio outlets which broadcast from Playhouse Square in downtown Cleveland. I am the face of both ideas, our news and public affairs TV show, and of NewsDepth, the news program written for 3rd through 8th grade students which is broadcast statewide and seen in thousands of school classrooms. You can also hear me almost each day on WCPN radio - delivering news reports and newscasts.

THE FUTURE:

Broadcasting is a way of life, and something I hope to continue doing, but I have other interests as well. I've thought of returning to college to teach, and I've considered, but so far rejected a few opportunities to leave the field for other types of writing. I still hope to inspire future reporters to continue to learn and practice JOURNALISM, a category which I separate from much of which permeates the airwaves today under the guise of news.