Monday, June 04, 2007

From the Mailbag: How's Tom Haley?

From: Dick in Dover-New Philadelphia

Q: Frank, I'm a periodic visitor to your blog and enjoy it very much. I'm glad Carol Sullivan is back. She's got spunk. Anyways, I grew up in Lakewood and hung around with a couple of the Haley girls and other pals on Woodford Ave. We always had to be quiet so as not to wake up "Mr. Haley," who had to get up very early, drive downtown and unlock Channel 3. I've lost touch with the family, so perhaps you could answer my question: How is Tom Haley?

A: I asked an old friend of ours, Del Donahoo, to help us on this one...and here's what I found out from him:

As far as I know Tom is doing OK...he lives in the Lakewood apartment that has been his home "forever". I don't see him often but we do visit by phone. He does some church work, hikes in Metro Park and spends time with his daughters. And, of course, he is still a golfer. That's about all I know. I'm sure he would be pleased to know that people still miss him.

Editor's Note: For those of you too young to remember Tom Haley, he was a fixture on the Cleveland airwaves from his radio years at the original WTAM to co-host of "Today in Cleveland." He retired from WKYC in 1997.

Tom was most recently in the WKYC studios visiting during Del's retirement party earlier this year.

Send me your emails to: fmacek@wkyc.com